Sunday, August 11, 2013

T Minus 6 Days

Saturday, August 10.

This time six days (142 hours) from now, I'll be snuggled in my Air France economy seat, flying somewhere over the Atlantic Ocean. Six. Days. Can you believe it? Because I can't! I'm not sure when the fact that I'm going to France is finally going to sink in, but I'm almost certain that the reality of it all won't hit me until I'm boarding the plane next Friday.

However, I still do have six days ... and thank goodness, because there is a LOT to be done! In addition to getting my life organized for France, I'm finishing up my Clue Week planning and crafting, saying goodbye to friends, cleaning out my room, and having a lot of last-minute adventures! It's been a really great summer thus far, so I don't want to ruin the end of it with a bunch of lazy boring days full of panicking and packing! So the next week will be filled with beach days, road trips, and meals at all my favorite restaurants ... and, of course, a little bit of packing.

Speaking of packing, I've never had a challenge quite like this. Sure, I've packed for semesters -- in fact, entire school years -- before, but study abroad is proving to be very very different. Clothes are probably my biggest challenge. I only have one 50-pound suitcase in which to squeeze three seasons worth of clothes (and shoes!) and it's starting to look very daunting. Beyond fitting everything into the suitcase, there's the even more confusing question -- what to bring?! How many pairs of shorts? Should I bring heels? Do French college students carry backpacks? (The answers, apparently, are lots, duh, and no.) If only I could just throw my closet in the back of the minivan and drive to Montpellier...

Additionally, I really have no idea what to expect from either of my living situations. Apparently, I don't need to bring bedding for the dorm room I'll be living in for the first three weeks -- but since I can't imagine that it will come equipped with too much else, I'm preparing myself for life in an un-airconditioned jail cell. As for my host family's house, I really have no idea! I know two friends who have stayed with my family -- one this summer and one last spring -- and have heard nothing but good things, but I still don't know much. Don't worry though: as soon as I'm settled in each of my new homes, you'll be receiving lots of details and photos!

Okay, it's time to stop procrastinating. I'm going to call it quits with this post and get back to the Three Ps -- planning, packing, and panicking!

No comments:

Post a Comment