studying in a francophone country

For a French and European Studies major, studying abroad in a Francophone country was one of the best decisions I could have made. My semester abroad helped me to improve my French and allowed me "real world" experience with the places, people, and ideas I was studying in the classroom.

But studying abroad in a French-speaking country isn't JUST for French majors! What about studying finance in Luxembourg? Or government and law in Brussels, the seat of the European Union? Or environmental studies in French Guiana? (This is a real program.) No matter what your major, studying in a French-speaking country is sure to be a unique and valuable experience! If you're interested in studying abroad in a Francophone country, you have a couple options.

  • Study abroad through your (or another) university. This can be one of the least expensive -- and least troublesome -- ways to study abroad. My university offered a variety of study abroad programs, including exchanges and sponsored semesters (for the price of in-state tuition!) and guided summer study abroad programs. If you can't find a program that appeals to you, consider looking at other universities' international options.
  • Find an organization that organizes study abroad programs for students from various universities. When I worked at my school's study abroad office, we called these "third party programs" -- organizations like API, CIEE, and SIT. Third party study abroad programs may be slightly more expensive, but they tend to come with "perks" like an airport pick-up service or planned excursions. When looking at third party programs, remember that if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is! Make sure you choose a safe, reputable, and academically challenging program.
  • Enroll in a university in a Francophone country. This option allows you to cut out the middle man and delve right into university life in the country of your choice! However, you probably want to steer clear of direct enrollment unless you feel confident handling the various challenges -- from visas to enrollment fees to course selection and credit transfer -- by yourself. According to a former study abroad adviser, direct enrollment is great for students who hold dual citizenship, speak the language fluently, and/or have close ties to the place they're hoping to study.

I chose to study abroad through my university, which offered an amazing program through which I could take classes at a French university and live with a host family. You can find more information as well as all the posts about my semester of study abroad at the University of Montpellier here on the blog.


  1. We would LOVE a short blog update! Scotland, Landstuhl, please! 🤗

  2. Halls of residence are course provider-owned premises designed to accommodate a large number of students. However, they're very popular so you might not get your first choice.

    Cheapest Chinese student apartments